Psychology Services at The Children’s Practice
Clinical psychology services are provided at The Children’s Practice by:
- Dr Sara O’Byrne, Senior Clinical Psychologist
- Dr Caroline Traynor, Senior Clinical Psychologist, Co-op Interventions
- Dr Yvonne Quinn, Senior Clinical Psychologist
Why might your child need to attend for a psychological assessment?
Clinical psychologists conduct comprehensive assessments for a range of development problems and clinical needs such as:
- Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Developmental Delay
- Emotional and Behavioural issues
- Specific Learning Difficulties (such as Dyslexia, Dyspraxia)
Psychological assessment results and recommendations are provided in written reports which can be used to apply for educational supports in school. Your child may be referred by one of the Consultant Paediatricians at the practice or you may request an assessment yourself.
The clinical psychologists also conduct psychological assessments under the Assessment of Need Process (Disability Act, 2005), at the request of the HSE.
What therapeutic supports are available?
Children, adolescents and families may wish to attend a psychologist for consultation and therapeutic support in relation to developmental issues, family transitions, and stressors such as:
- Antenatal and postnatal adjustment and support
- Anxiety and low mood
- Bullying and self esteem
- Feeding, sleeping and toileting difficulties
- Parenting concerns and behaviour management
- Parental separation or bereavement
- Social and behavioural issues
- Support for children in care and their foster carers
- Unresolved pain and illness
Psychologists use a range of therapeutic approaches (including cognitive behavioural therapy, narrative therapy, attachment and family systems theory) tailored to the specific presenting needs of the child and family. They also liaise with other health professionals and schools as required.
Dr O’Byrne provides specialist assessment and therapeutic support to children in care. Please contact the practice to discuss pricing and requirements.